It was yet another remarkable milestone for SPB Fans Charitable foundation to have celebrated Shri.SPB’s 64th birthday with a noble cause. We had the following agenda on this day:
- Blood Donation camp
- Material assistance to Nirmala devi charitable trust – school for polio attacked children
- Financial assistance to Lakshmi Palliative and pain clinic – an organisation for treating cancer patients
- Lunch for the school students and organisers/staff
On 13th June’10 the day started at around 9.30 a.m. where some of our group members reached the venue (Nirmala Devi school near guduvanchery) to proceed with our activities. Prior to this,the previous day, we had reached out the stationery and grocery requirements for the school so that it becomes convenient for us to issue them through the hands of our legend.
The event started off with Blood donation camp organised by Lions Blood Bank. There were totally 15 donors put together that day. Considering the distance and the timeframe they had, the number was a bit less. But we could see a lot of enthusiasts approaching the blood donation camp and it was heartening to see.
At around 10.45 a.m. our LEGEND arrived at the venue and Mr.Giridhar welcomed him. One of the finest things that happened was that SPB sir was accompanied by his wife. This is the very first time that our beloved madam was part of an event that happens through our foundation. This added more glory to the function. The members of the school took them to the auditorium where the event took place. Chief trustees, auditor and management staff of Nirmala Devi Trust were present during this function. Founder member and couple of doctors from Lakshmi Palliative care were also kind enough to join us at this place to collect their aid though their clinic is situated elsewhere.
The chief member of the Nirmala Devi trust shared some fine experiences about the founder of the organisation Mrs.Nirmala Devi who is incidentally an ardent follo wer of Shri.Gandhiji. She was married to Shri.Jayaprakash Narayanan at an age of 15 itself. Very soon her husband was put into jail for participating in freedom fighting. She joined Gandhiji’s sabarmathi ashram claiming herself as a spinster and Gandhiji also without knowing this fact accepted her as one of his ashramites. Later when Mrs. Gandhi told him about Nirmala devi Gandhiji seemed to have got worried. But Nirmala devi was very firm in her decision to be an ashramite and lead a spinster life till she died.
Our legend was so moved about the dedication and commitment of the founder and praised the committee members for doing such noble work. He asked the compere of the program (one of the staff of the school) not to mention our hep as donation and instead just call it as an assistance. He also sang few lines of a slokam which enthralled the audience. Students of the school who had hearing problems danced for couple of songs include one SPB’s song which was nicely co-ordinated by one of the teachers. They did not miss even a single beat/step!!! After the speech/cultural events, as a token of our assistance SPB sir gave away some stationery items and groceries to the school staff. A cheque was given to the founder member Dr.Mallika of Lakshmi Pain and Palliative care for their medicinal requirements. SPB sir spent some good time with the children by posing for a lot of photos and signing autographs. The day finally ended with a sumptuous lunch for the school kids and we all left with a sense of satisfaction and pride at around 3 pm. Total outlay of funds for this event was close to Rs.70,000/-
Donations were also collected from some of our members during this day.
Annual meet’09 DVD’s were also distributed to some members.
- We would like to specially thank few of our members for making this event a huge success:
- Seshadri & Mr.Sampath for co-ordinating with Nirmaladevi school for their requirements and also making arrangements for a tasty lunch
- Harikrishnan for identifying Lakshmi palliative care and visiting their place and finding out their requirements.
- Vijay Mangalampalli, who came all the way from Hyderabad just for a day to be a part of this wonderful occasion. It is members like him who keep our foundation up and running with their enthusiasm and participation.
- Other members like Vijayakrishnan, C Balaji and Chandramouleeswaran who spent their value time on that day by being a part of this occasion.
- Last but not the least, our webmaster Mr.Giridhar for his valuable inputs (despite his hectic work schedule) and providing guidance for making this function a grand success.
We would like to invite everyone to be a part of such noble activity quite frequently so that we have a fulfilling day to relish and remember.